by Cheryle M. Touchton
How to Love Your Enemy
Step 1: Know your enemy: I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. Matt 10:16
Who in your life:
- Is an adversary or foe?
- Is someone you consider an enemy?
- Hurts you in some way?
- Is using you selfishly?
- Is keeping you from reaching God’s purpose for your life?
- Does not have your best interest at heart?
- Is trying to manipulate your behavior?
- Gossips about you?
- Enables or encourages you to live contrary to God’s word?
Who do you:
- Criticize or complain about?
- Try to control or manipulate?
- Try to rescue?
- Gossip about?
- Keep from reaching God’s purpose for their life?
- Deliberately do damage to?
- Enable or encourage to live contrary to God’s word?
- Use selfishly?
Step 3: Ask for forgiveness and for God to help you change your behavior and attitude: For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more. Heb 8:12
Step 4: Change your behavior. Stop acting like an enemy! Do to others as you would have them do to you. Luke 6:31
Step 5: Begin doing good to your enemies: If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the LORD will reward you. Proverbs 25:21-22
Step 6: Love and pray for your enemy: But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. Matt 5:44
Why to Love Your Enemy
There is a physical benefit: A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones. Proverbs 14:30
- There is a psychological benefit: As a person thinks within himself, so he is. Proverbs 23:7
- There is a relationship benefit: Overlook an offense and bond a friendship. Fasten on to a slight and goodbye friend. Proverbs 17:9
- There is a spiritual benefit: If you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 6:15 and The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed. Proverbs 11:25
- There is a kingdom benefit: If all you do is love the lovable, so you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. You are kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live generously and graciously toward others the way God lives towards you. Matthew 5:46-48